• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Starting Fresh!

Tracey

Starting Fresh!  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which Star Trek Series Had the Best First Season?

• The Original Series
    • The Next Generation
    • Deep Space 9
    • Voyager
    • Enterprise

Welcome to this week's Poll of the Week!

Once again I must apologize for my missing poll for last week. As we wind down at work for the summer I was extremely busy. But we are back, and bettah than evah!!! :P

This week we will focus on the first season of each Star Trek series. Generally, as a rule, television series' first seasons are never the best as the actors have not really taken on the persona of the role and the comfort level is a bit lacking. There are also other problems that could arise in the first season of a television series that could be ironed out in future seasons.

So that brings us to this week's question for the Poll of the Week. Of all the Star Trek series on television throughout the years, which series did you think had the best first season? So vote away, and as always, we would love to see your comments below!

I had to go with TOS. I think many of the best episodes of the series were in the first season - and certainly some of the most thought provokin g and groundbreaking ones.

Maybe it isn't fair to compare since TOS only had 3 seasons and we never knew what it might have grown in to with more seasons - but the first one is arguably the best in this series and certainly the footsteps that everyone else stood in!

I shot with DS9 - I think they did a great job of giving us insight into the characters, took the brave step of making the doctor not particularly likeable (which then set up a fantastic evolution over the course of the 7 series) and the setting was absolute magic - there was no starship and everything was vulnerable - a fragile station guarding the wormhole to another part of the galaxy as well as a fragile world. Plus, Gul Dukat - best villain in Trek imo!

• Like 1

Of all of the series, Voyager was not actually my favorite. However, I have to actually give it points on the first season compared to all the others. I really liked the way one episode flowed into the next. Not to mentioned the overall situational feel of being 'lost in space'.

I have to agree with Sal. TOS gets my vote if only because it was a ground breaker which opened sci-fi as an accepted genre on TV and inspired so many spin offs, not necessarily all Star Trek. It established something entirely new in sci fi at the time. It presented an optimistic view of the future with aliens who were rational and interesting. This was a huge step away from the sci-fi movies of the time which was nearly universal in its paranoia that all aliens were monsters bent on destroying or colonizing earth.

I think it was also the first series in color. Prior to Star Trek only sports were in color. People who'd never watched sci-fi did it to see something in color other than football! The series hooked a lot of those viewers. Soon everyone was using terms like "beam me up" or "warp." The idea that this show stayed on past a first season with such an innovative approach to programming is testament to how extraordinary it was...despite the really cheesy looking uniforms.

The following series all started with a popular foundation, but TOS was the pioneer. That said, honorable mention goes to NG which took the huge chance of replacing the handsome, swashbuckling captain with a bald, middle aged CO who was more diplomat than action figure without a Vulcan in sight.

I shot with DS9 - I think they did a great job of giving us insight into the characters, took the brave step of making the doctor not particularly likeable (which then set up a fantastic evolution over the course of the 7 series) and the setting was absolute magic - there was no starship and everything was vulnerable - a fragile station guarding the wormhole to another part of the galaxy as well as a fragile world. Plus, Gul Dukat - best villain in Trek imo!

What he said! Totally agree. DS9 was the series that got me Trekified. The thing that got me as well was the look into civilian life on a station and that there was a few sub plots going on all the time.

Sure, each episode was watchable out of sequence, stood on its own. But the beauty was in the collective narrative, watching them in sequence. Plus Garak, in my top 3 characters. Well written and badass, in his own unflappable way.

Edited by Daniel Cain
  • Like 2

What he said! Totally agree. DS9 was the series that got me Trekified. The thing that got me as well was the look into civilian life on a station and that there was a few sub plots going on all the time.

Sure, each episode was watchable out of sequence, stood on its own. But the beauty was in the collective narrative, watching them in sequence. Plus Garak, in my top 3 characters. Well written and badass, in his own unflappable way.

Although I love Voyager the most I voted DS9 here. I agree with all said in previous comments, but want to add that while in other shows actors were researching characters for at least half of a season in DS9 they were well played from the start.

• Like 1

Had to go with Voyager. While it did, admittedly, have some flaws, I think it was the most well thought out-to begin with. There were several major themes not flushed out in the first season of TOS, TNG's characters had difficulty finding there place, same with DS9. Enterprise wasn't bad, but I felt like they could have done more with it.

Wow, this is more tricky than I'd expected.

My favourite show overall is easily DS9, but I seem to remember the first season having a few weak episodes (admittedly I'd have to rewatch them all to be sure!).

Voyager, on the other hand, I didn't enjoy so much, but it had a good first season, introducing the characters and themes.

Actually, I think my vote goes for TNG. The first season had the unique challenge of needing to appeal to fans of TOS, and therefore emulate things to a certain extent, while simultaneously appealing to a brand new fan base, so they couldn't get away with just copying the original format.

I think they pulled it off 100%. Enough familiar topics and ideas but presented in a fresh, new way. It couldn't have been easy! The only comparison I can think of is the JJ Abrahms film.

Plus, bonus points for Q and the pilot episode set up that was magnificently wrapped up in All Good Things...