• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Cain

Training Question

Hey everyone.

Just got my Training Sim through. My question is this: Are there NPCs milling about the ship you can order about / control? Im security and wanted to make sure it is acceptable to order said minions about.

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

On a normal ship you would assume that there are other people aboard, and we certainly do have NPCs on our normal ships. During training, however, we prefer you to interact with your other cadets where possible - if there's a way for you to drop tags for your other cadets, or for your commanding officers (you might want to propose a course of action for example) then that would be preferable! :)

I hope that answers your question!

To an extent.

Basically there's a security breach. One would assume 1 guy isn't enough to cover a ship and pin point a breach.

Edited by Daniel Cain

That's right - you can assume that you have what you need to attempt to contain the breach, but think of it like an episode of Star Trek and keep any communication with people who aren't part of the bridge crew to a minimum. You might even cover that in narrative. For example, if this were TNG, Worf might report back to Picard that he has security team investigating an unauthorised access to one of the cargo bays. Picard would then probably send Worf to investigate it, but he'd likely also send Riker. Depending on the episode and what was happening, he might also send Data, or you might get gold shirts (redshirts/NPCs).

Basically, the rule of thumb is to try to avoid getting too bogged down in dealing with/interacting with a team of NPCs and to keep the focus on SIMming with other players. :)

Also remember you have the computer and the internal sensors to help you!

Edited by Chen
  • Like 2

Cheers Chen. Much more clear now :)

No problem! :) If you have any more questions as things progress then feel free to shoot me or your FO an email, or ask on here and we'll get to it asap!

• Like 1

Ok heres another one........

What happens when 2 people post near to each other, and may contradict each other in the situation?

We call that a cross post. Usually the second person to move fixes it, but in this case don't worry too much about it and I'll make sure it's taken care of. :) If anything needs to be changed, I'll contact the author of that SIM directly.

• Like 1

To offer another side of the NPC equation:

When you get to your actual ship, your primary character must/always will come first. Now with that said, every ship is a little different on how they run. ;) In training, you need to focus with just your primary character, who is first and foremost. This is the character you are going to play in the Fleet, and it's important to interact with your primary character first, above all else

With that said, depending on the response time with any given ship, what ends up happening is players will develop NPCs to sim as between response times. Or sometimes, PNPCs- which are used when you're waiting for responses from what your primary has posted. ;) Does that make sense?

When you get to your ship, take some time to visit the ship's wiki page and take a look at the rosters, and how other players use NPC/PNPC's in sim. This will help to guide you when they are, and not, appropriate. :) Hope that helps!

• Like 1

PNPCs are "Personal Non-Playing Characters." All the various types of characters are described here: http://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/index.php/Player_Types

• Like 1

Do most players have NPCs or is it somewhat unusual?

Hiya! :)

NPCs are used in a generally limited way, for small things as it's generally better to keep the focus on the PCs. If you compare it to the series the Player Characters, our main character or PC is part of the main cast, whereas NPCs are those red shirts and people we only see once in a while. Anyone can write for a NPC as it is a shared, minor character.

Personal PNPCs are a sort of middle ground and are 'owned' much like PCs, so no one ele would write for a PNPC that belonged to you. It's usually a good idea to settle in with your PC before creating one of those but they certainly can be a lot of fun. I wouldn't say that most players have a PNPC and some prefer to concentrate on their PC but many players have one or more.

I hope this answers your question. You can read about the different player types and their usage here: http://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/index.php?title=Player_Types

Do most players have NPCs or is it somewhat unusual?

Following-up on what Renos said, I wouldn't call NPC/PNPC unusual. We don't have any stats on how many people play a PNCP, but I'd bet at least 1/3 of the fleet has at least one.