• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Could a "Star trek Universe" be possible?

Diego Beyett

Hi guys. Before I continue, I apologize if this already exists somewhere on these forums.

So, does anyone here think that something like the starships in Star Trek could be possible in real life? I know it would probably be a long way down the road, but this has always fascinated me. Ever since I was little, I always hoped something like Star Trek would happen in real life( hopefully that makes sense.)

I still really hope this could happen in real life. This brings up a couple more questions I have for you guys. If the "Star trek universe" actually existed, and if there was a "Starfleet", who would actually be apart of it? Would you be an enlisted officer for "Starfleet"?

I'm excited to see everyone's response! Enjoy!

Alex/Diego

Yes in theory it's possible, there are two biggest hurdles really. One is discovering a way of FTL travel or some sort of suitable hyperspace alternative, but that requires some sort of energy generator that is currently well beyond our comprehension as it requires near-infinite power.

There is also the 'Great Filter' to overcome as well, although we don't know yet if we have passed it or if we simply haven't come across it yet. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter)

But if we did crack that, then we've already discovered a whole host of 'earth like' planets we could potentially expand into, and humanity is extremely good at breeding and spreading. Whether that's good or bad is a very philosophical question.

I think we'd need to have some sort of realization that we need to function as a collective whole, like WWIII and first contact did for humanity in the ST universe.

Honestly I think the Mass Effect universe is more likely then Star Trek, less of a utopia.

If there was a Starfleet though? Good grief no, space is dangerous! I'm a total coward.

• Like 1

When my parents were going to school they started at age 8 and then were learning how to read and write. I went to little school at age 5 and when at age 7 went to school I knew perfectly how to read and write. With technology available today kids are learning even without reading a lot of the things we couldn't long before school.

I believe it is possible we will overgrow the impossible, learn how to safely harness power sources we don't even imagine today. Why? Need is a mother of invention. Oil companies are protecting their wealth by making sure no research in the replacement is well founded and when they can they pay to end the research. But we have oil reserves for 20 more years.. frightening is that earth have maybe 25 more years of normal existence if pollution don't stop. Hopefully the end of oil era will stop that pollution.

Need to lower pollution will also push us to research a way to travel through the stars and move people off the mother Earth to give her some breathing space. Also dear Earth may became so hot we'll be forced to seek new home. That may very well force us to finally unite. Need to survive as species.

• 4 months later...

Here's a thought to consider:

While the UFOP isn't specifically "canon", its players have a lot of leeway, and we do our best to keep what we do here on file on our very own Wiki. As a community, we support Star Trek, because we love to write in that particular universe. So the question I would pose to you guys is: in lieu of a "Star Trek Universe" from Paramount, what's to stop the UFOP community from establishing that idea...

Bare in mind, we've been running strong since 1994, and we are the longest running PBEM in the history of Star Trek (and that is an actual fact- there is no other community of writers out there who write in the ST Universe outside of the UFOP with that length of time invested). While what we do here will never be "canon", we do our best to adhere to what the Universe sets for (with creative impulse for expansion- reference our Wiki to see the campaign platforms various members of our Fleet have developed).

The thought to consider is, what's stopping us, as a community, to establish what the Star Trek universe is? =)

Edited by David Cody

I was heartbroken the day I realized that the world of Star Trek didn't actually exist. From that day forward, I vowed to do everything in my ability to make that future a reality. If Starfleet existed, I would join in a heartbeat.

Here's a thought to consider:

While the UFOP isn't specifically "canon", its players have a lot of leeway, and we do our best to keep what we do here on file on our very own Wiki. As a community, we support Star Trek, because we love to write in that particular universe. So the question I would pose to you guys is: in lieu of a "Star Trek Universe" from Paramount, what's to stop the UFOP community from establishing that idea...

Bare in mind, we've been running strong since 1994, and we are the longest running PBEM in the history of Star Trek (and that is an actual fact- there is no other community of writers out there who write in the ST Universe outside of the UFOP with that length of time invested). While what we do here will never be "canon", we do our best to adhere to what the Universe sets for (with creative impulse for expansion- reference our Wiki to see the campaign platforms various members of our Fleet have developed).

The thought to consider is, what's stopping us, as a community, to establish what the Star Trek universe is? =)

Well, we have. For example, we have businesses in a economic system that would have *none*. We have currency even though we shouldn't. The actual answer, long wise, is that there IS a Star Trek Universe. For example, in the "official" timeline, there's no Borg (cf STEU), and such. We've just gone another way.

• Like 1