• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Federation Relations With The Other Major Powers

Brayden Jorey

Greetings and Salutations All,

I would like to start a discussion on our (Federation, 118 Fleet) relationship with the other major powers (Klingon, Romulan, etc.). Why, you might ask? I have recently moved into Starfleet Intelligence and would like to keep up to date on the political climate. Besides that, the galaxy politics of the Star Trek has always been my favourite part of Trek. Getting a clear picture on this is tougher than one might think!

For example, I have recently moved the Embassy on Duronis II/USS Thunder-A just outside of Federation space nestled between the Romulans and the Zalkonians. In this region (simming with the Thunderites), it became clear that the Romulans are most often portrayed as antagonists and villains. On the opposite side of Federation space in the Ithassa Region where I simmed on the Tiger, until its decommissioning, the Romulans were most often portrayed more often as uneasy allies who needed protection from the Klingons and a lot of help rebuilding and relocating following the Hobus supernova disaster.

This is not to say that one ship (simming group) is right and the other wrong, but rather, that many different aspects of the fragmenting former Romulan Empire are being explored by different ships. Romuans act differently in different parts of the galaxy - this makes sense to me. However, the different dynamics ship to ship makes it somewhat difficult to get an idea of the 'big picture' of Federation politics.

So here are a few questions:

1. What does the political landscape look like in your part of the universe from the perspective of your respective ship?

2. Would you find it useful to have an area on the wiki (in either the form of text or graphic) that you could get a quick sense of current relations between the Federation and the other powers? I'm also thinking a few quick bullet points (added by a member from each ship) of any recent events involving the other factions.

3. Does knowing what is happening in the rest of the galaxy (on other ships) really matter to you?

No matter what your answers and opinions are, I would love to hear them!

Regards,

• Like 4

How great! I direct you to my thoughts on this very subject in the diplomatic forums! Chime on in! (Just posted up my thoughts on Romulans). Maybe we can collaborate at some point?

So here are a few questions:

1. What does the political landscape look like in your part of the universe from the perspective of your respective ship?

2. Would you find it useful to have an area on the wiki (in either the form of text or graphic) that you could get a quick sense of current relations between the Federation and the other powers? I'm also thinking a few quick bullet points (added by a member from each ship) of any recent events involving the other factions.

3. Does knowing what is happening in the rest of the galaxy (on other ships) really matter to you?

No matter what your answers and opinions are, I would love to hear them!

Regards,

I think it is definitely useful if we had a proper "factions" section on the wiki. Mr. Bishop has written a couple of great essays on the Klingons and Romulans, and I think an overview of their history (and more importantly, what's happened to them since we last saw prime Trek on TV or the movies) would be great.

Knowing what else is going on in the greater Trek universe is important to me, which is what motivated me to start the FNS headlines section (subscribe to the twitter account to get updates directly to your feeds!). I think the more we can promote common universe developments that all ships and characters can react to the more we truly are one fleet simming in the same universe.

All right! The work has begun! Add as you see fit! Let's try not to *duplicate* memory alpha but as the OP notes, focus more on current status of these powers in our timeframe.

118Wiki: Factions

I've added Leland's guides and I like the idea of Starfleet Intelligence Assessment reports as well on the factions, similar to the CIA World Factbook.

Edited by Rich

Brayden, great idea. And Rich, beautiful work as always!

Hopefully we can find a way to integrate FNS, the forums, the wiki, and the Community News with this project so that everyone can get updates on changes in diplomatic status and so forth :)

For the UFP "History" link that's still red, perhaps this will work? http://www.starbase118.net/cadets/pre-training-area/ufop-intro/

• Like 1

Braydon it may be useful if we both do an analysis from a diplomatic and intelligence standpoint for all four? Might be interesting to compare/contrast?

Just hit the wiki to have a look. Its kind of breathtaking how fast you work, Rich! Great stuff so far! I'm hoping to get either Cardassians or UFP done today at some point.

Edited by Leland Bishop

For the UFP "History" link that's still red, perhaps this will work? http://www.starbase118.net/cadets/pre-training-area/ufop-intro/

I've added most of that, although I edited some parts as the info appears to have been written before Enterprise the series and there was an overemphasis on Voyager which isn't really relevant to the history of the Federation per se. There were also some common "fan theory" errors such as Australia being the last to join United Earth (that is not true, Crusher only was using it as a hypothetical to Picard), etc. There's also a lack of info about the TOS years, and I disagreed with the notion that the 23rd Century was a "relative time of peace" or whatnot, so anyway, we'll have to revise definitely, but it's a good starting point! :santa:

Edited by Rich

I think it's a great idea , especially basing it on the CIA fact book...perhaps an SFI Fact book? One which diplomats and SFI can use to brush up on the broad strokes to keep our community canon constant?

• Like 3

I've added most of that, although I edited some parts as the info appears to have been written before Enterprise the series and there was an overemphasis on Voyager which isn't really relevant to the history of the Federation per se. There were also some common "fan theory" errors such as Australia being the last to join United Earth (that is not true, Crusher only was using it as a hypothetical to Picard), etc. There's also a lack of info about the TOS years, and I disagreed with the notion that the 23rd Century was a "relative time of peace" or whatnot, so anyway, we'll have to revise definitely, but it's a good starting point! :santa:

We can't duplicate content on the main site and the wiki. It's bad for SEO and creates confusion. If you feel like you've integrated most of that page into the wiki, I'll remove the page from the main site and link there directly.

Yes! It's so great having so many talented and active people in the fleet! The wiki page looks great! I'm not sure if it would help, but I did a 7 part series reviewing the Rommies post-hobus for the Newsteam a while back. It had a lot of 'fleet related' info/history that I researched. Maybe that can get linked in or the info added somehow.

Here's the link: http://www.starbase118.net/category/column/our-history-our-times/

I see the links for "SFI Assesment" I think I can come up with some kind of stardardized set of info. However, I need a way to collect info from people, because their is just no way for me to know what has/is happening on every ship (especially those decomissioned over the year). Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Love the layout and the look. Obviously it is still a work under construction as it does not have the Gorn, Tholian, Dominion, Breen, etc on the list. I could probably think of another 5 to 10 that might need to be added as well.

Other than that this is something that we have needed for a very long time.

It will serve not only as an excellent resource for the entire fleet but to further improve on what is already a very useful and wide ranging wiki.