• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Overabundance of Starfleet "Brats"

Varaan

Both Cain's parents are civilians. I haven't actually seen many star fleet brats although it does seem to be an easy way to start a character.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both Cain's parents are civilians. I haven't actually seen many star fleet brats although it does seem to be an easy way to start a character.

This thread might have nudged a lot of folks in the direction of avoiding it, lately :)

lol@ Admiral Wolf. It's possible, but I never had any intention of making T:T'Mynn a Fleet brat. Being a base rat/brat myself I went non military.

Eerie used StarFleet to get into the military. Due to a lack of a family name the BDF (Brikar Defense Forces would not accept him).

One of the details about my character that I've had the most fun writing is his hometown, a parochial island in northern Norway called Tromsøya. I imagine that, even in the 24th century, there are probably small pockets of Earth that haven't fully caught up with the rest of the planet, and I write arctic Norway as one of 'em. People live out their lives on Tromsøya more or less unaffected by the fact that Earth is a major galactic crossroads, because few off-worlders ever bother to go there.

Coming from this background, my character's parents are already a little abnormal (journalist and founder of a charity for Bajoran children), but Didrik's decision to join Starfleet was definitely not in keeping with the way of things on the island. One of the things he's learning as an "outsider," is that Starfleet is a lot more hard work than he thought, and that for every Picard, there are 10,000 Taitts just trying to do their jobs. That's been a lot of fun to explore.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure there is a lot of stuff that is done to death, as it were. I HATED the 1/2 (race X) just watching the shows. Oh and FWIW I agree. It almost seems like an easy way out in terms of character creation, IMHO.

• 2 months later...

I was reading over this post just trying to go over some old post. I just wanted to say being the dork I am that Kirk's father was in Starfleet. lol just saying :)

I never gave this any thought before this post, but now I take the time I do believe choosing to make my character a "starfleet brat" was the easy way out. I simply didn't stop to think there could be any other way for her to be interested in joining, but of course there are as many as our imagination can produce. It is indeed a shame not to have more various backgrounds!

Gotta have some were its a family tradition. Maybe there's a kid whose family had a member or more in Starfleet since Archer's time period.

I noticed that when I read the first post, Kirk's dad was in starfleet.

I think you need to have a mixture of both and a lot of people do follow in their parent's footsteps. My character's parents are not in starfleet, but her roommate (which I created) is the complete opposite with her entire family in starfleet. I don't think it is the easier option and found it easier to create a character without parents in starfleet.

My characters parents where forced off the Trill home world by the Orions Syndicate forcing them to live on a Ferengi Smuggling Vessel...

Funny enough, when I designed this character, I wanted him to have a career prior to joining Starfleet. I liked the idea of having a cilivian career because it gave the character a background outside of the normal, enter the Academy, graduate, go to ship... although it increased the age. :P The flaws within our characters are really what ends up defining them (and make them fun to play).

I am working on Eoghan's bio as we speak and looking to make his father a diplomat and his mother a chef. Original plan was his father to be a Starfleet officer, but as I thought about it that changed. I have to say though that Starfleet is one of the largest employers in the universe so to speak an that will lead to a number of "Starfleet" Brats running around. I also see that the Merchant Marines is another option to use reading up on them in the Starfleet and it looks like a lot of Starfleet officers join them and the reverse it seems that a lot of Merchant Marines children join Starfleet.

Being raised in an environment like Starfleet will natural have children that want to follow in their parents footsteps. Children of Military parents are 6 times more likely to join the military. so with that out of every 10 kids from Starfleet families 6 will most likely join Starfleet. Now I have been reading over the people's replies here and it seems like we really do not have a lot of Starfleet brats left so over time it has evolved away from that.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

MacLaren's parents are UFOP diplomats because I needed a way for a Scotsman to wed a high ranking Betazoid and still return to earth so Johanna would be that odd Betazoid with a Scottish accent.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I love that not only is my character Jorey an 'orphan', he is also a 'Starfleet Brat'. However, I would like to point out that there seems to be an underlying assumption that all 'Brat' stories will essentially be the same. If not, I'm curious why these types of characters seem to 'offend' some of you.

Regards,

Ensign Brayden 'Brat' Jorey ;-)

I for one don't agree that Starfleet is one of the largest employers in the Federation. Even if every species (we ahve over 100 various species members in UFoP) covers full 5 crews and we have lot of humans on every vessel, whole species (where some have beside their home planet sevearl if not many colonies) Stzarfleet still have much less employees than it is required to even just feed all thiese people.

I actually disagree with the point of Starfleet brats, Starfleet has best resources (if only the best can pass through Academy, then they will surely produce best; best in engineering, best in science research, best in medical research) so private sector and everyone else will get that only later. Children today learn faster, because it is easier to learn from pictures and films - today we have lot of very good ones, something even my generation 15 years ago didn't have. I don't believe that holodeck technology is easy to find and hire time on the planets (not as easy as on the ships, comapring here the number of people that may use it), but kids growing up on ships can have classes often in holodeck and learn faster and easier. So by the sheare opportunity, Starfleet brats are logical thing.

I don't think it's an issue of people being overly-sensitive or offended by it so much as wanting to avoid character cliches that we see a lot. We didn't really see an overabundance of StarFleet brats on the show, and so the idea that every senior staff would have a half dozen seems a bit far-fetched to those of us who've been around for a while.

It doesn't mean we can't have StarFleet brats, or that it's not a fun and interesting subject to explore, but just that we want to try and minimize how many of them there are so that it doesn't happen more than is realistic.

I guess my point is that we know so very little about Star Trek reality. Think about it, The enterprise, voyager, these ships could have easily been the exception to the rule. There are litterally 1000's of redshirts alone that we have no idea about their background. They easily could have been made up primarily of brats.

I'm kinda with Wanda who posted above, that Starfleet Brats (like army brats) actually seems like a logical thing. If there is a cliche, it seems reasonable that perhaps many people share in a certain belief about the kind of characters (or people) that Starfleet might attract.

I might argue that 'realistically' (in Star Trek land, as I like calling it), there are three types of officers. (1) Brats as they are being called (Deanna Troi, Geordi Leforge), (2) Orphan-types (Tasha, Data), or Rebellious-types, meaning rebelled against family and joined Starfleet (Picard, Riker...even tho his dad kinda worked for Starfleet too).

• 10 months later...

Since I'm forum surfing...

I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with 'Starfleet Brat' characters. Yes, it is an easy concept to grasp on to... but that's because it makes sense. I'd rather see a load of characters with "brat" backgrounds that make sense than a load of characters who were raised by wolves or busted out of Rura Penthe and rode space-alligators into the open gates of Starfleet Academy. Especially for younger players or new players, the 'Starfleet Brat' archetype is one that we see frequently in canon and we know it works. It just makes sense.

Different character concepts are something that usually comes from experience. The more players write, the more they start to create different characters - they could show up as NPCs/pNPCs or their personal character's siblings/friends/family, And from there kernels of ideas germinate and start to grow.

One solidly written Starfleet Brat concept could grow into an entire library of good character concepts in the years to come.

When I created my character, he was a little older than most, but he was also a Starfleet brat...but not the typical one. Starting out as a brat doesn't mean you have the easy road, depending on who your parents were and how you characterize them. It's as wide open a road as you wish to make it.

There are also many other avenues to explore when simming a Starfleet brat. Perhaps a parent was an enlisted member of Starfleet? Or maybe they never got above the rank of Lieutenant? They could have worked at Starfleet Command in a clerical post. I think the goal is that not every character would be the son/daughter of a captain or admiral. There is nothing bad about the plot, it is just not something you want a whole crew of a ship writing. But in my time, I have really not seen many Starfleet brats. Currently, I have one officer that has a parent that was in Starfleet, but retired after Wolf 359. I don't think it's the problem it once was.

Archived