• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Overabundance of Starfleet "Brats"

Varaan

I have seen training done, assisted in training as an XO, and led several training classes as a commanding officer, and almost every time I see a new character's BIO, one or more of their parents were Starfleet officers. Over and over again. I'm not saying that you CAN'T have one or more parents in Starfleet, but you don't have to have either. I sim two characters on two different ships, and neither of them have parents who are connected to Starfleet in any way. Varaan's parents are a diplomat/bureaucrat and a scientist, and Garn's parents are a corporate heiress and an artist (painter/sculptor).

I'm just trying to say that of the huge population of citizens within the United Federation of Planets ( at least 150 MEMBER worlds, and hundreds more who are associate members or otherwise affiliated, with populations each in the millions or billions) how many of these hundreds of trillions of people work in Starfleet, and how many have everyday jobs? Your character can be just as interesting if your parents were farmers, as if they were both Starfleet officers.

Kirk's parents weren't. Spock's parents weren't. McCoy's parents weren't. Neither were Picard's, Riker's, Worf's, Sisko's, Bashir's, Chakotay's, Kim's, or Neelix's. In fact, the only ones I can think of off of the top of my head are Geordi's, Janeway's, and Paris'.

So if your first impulse when you're doing your BIO is to list your parents as Starfleet officers, take a second to sit back and see if you can come up with something different. It might end up making your character's background and interests a little richer and diverse.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with this to a degree. Hebron's parents were not Starfleet. ONe was an ambassador and the other an honored warrior from their planet. After saying that, however, Daniels is very starfleet. It just depends on the type of character you want. With Hebron I wanted someone a little untrained and prone to anger. In Daniels, I wanted someone who had grown up all of his life within the fleet and had those experiences to bring with him.

It is just a matter of what you need and or want.

i cant even imagine following whatever my father did. it just seems - blah!

i did integrate a lot of my background with that of hayases - just that hayase and myself act a lot more different.

I can see how this can be an annoyance when you see it over and over. I guess I feel like justifying my biography. I'm a writer, and when I come up with a character, their previous life and what will be happening in their future often comes to mind. I had no intention of making both of my character's parents Starfleet officers. But there is an event in my character's past that affects her future, and it just so happened, the best way to make it happen was to have both of her parents be Starfleet officers. You will notice that my character was raised for much of her life by two grandparents who were not Starfleet, though.

Amy (Cadet Reed) :blink:

It's an interesting issue. I'm not from a military background, but I get the impresion that in some countries, military parents breed sons and daughters who often end up in the military.

Could it be the same in Starfleet?

Cadet Sarvak

(Incidentally, neither of Sarvak's parents were Starfleet ... but I can understand why Cadets and others have/wish their characters to have Starfleet backgrounds.)

It's an interesting issue.  I'm not from a military background, but I get the impresion that in some countries, military parents breed sons and daughters who often end up in the military.

Could it be the same in Starfleet?

Cadet Sarvak

(Incidentally, neither of Sarvak's parents were Starfleet ... but I can understand why Cadets and others have/wish their characters to have Starfleet backgrounds.)

well thats interesting. over here a lot of generals have their kids follow them into service and they traditionally become their aide de camps.

That is not suprising in the least. I believe a lot of children respect thier parents and do follow them. Plus it is the way the person, the one making the character, feels about Trek.

Who would not dream of being in that type of scenerio. Having a parent who is a captain or an admiral would be a good start.

• 2 weeks later...

all of nicks family, (parents, granparents, uncles, aunts, etc) are in starfleet.) when i did my BIO i thought it would be a good idea if they were all starfleet officer's so he comes from a starfleet background. but he doesn't act like his family is starfleet.

did that make sence

i have great respect for tom paris, (did that sound corny)

No, it's like family tradition, i mean sons/daughters follow their parents into the armed forces, or something.

thats how Nash's family is, joining starfleet is a family tradion.

untill his father wanted him to break it.

I agree. It really depends on what YOU want your character to be like. I see no problem with having a character with family members in Starfleet.

• 1 year later...

I believe that sometimes it can give a good backround for his/her motivations and actions of a character when they are completly obsessed or in the contrary when they hate Starfleet, as a result of 2 parents(or other relatives)in Starfleet. But when it's just some info given, wich has nothing to do with the character it is indeed foulish.

• 5 months later...

I play an Ullian and his parents weren't starfleet related. Both are a kind of historians, they're in the project of Ullia to have a kind of memores archive from the whole galaxy. Kalin, but, against his parents will applied to starfleet as he found this kind of life a bit boring and with little utility to the rest of the living beings of the universe. Plus his willing of knowledge of the galaxy made him go this way. One might think that being breed on this kind of family he'd have selected to be counselour, or something on this way, but he pushed himself to be security officer and this sometimes makes him confront his believes with the needs. An example it's the current mission. We have a kind of shape shifter that took appearance of an officer and do some nasty things during a diplomatic mission that ended with the blow of the deflector dish, and a death of another officer. Now he had to hold himself of using his mental powers to enter the brain of this shape shifter and took the information he wanted. If his parents were starfleet, he'll be more used to the regulations and they could have warned him about those desires, but this way, he had to discover what kind of officer he could be by his own.

One point to non fleet related ;-)

I think it is alright to have Starfleet Brats. It is certainly something of a tradition in the military. And I think it is a respectable one at that.

Non of my characters have a tradition line like that. Unless you count the fact that two are related and in SF, yet..have no idea that either is alive, mother and daughter. So, not sure that you'd call that a SF brat thing.

But, again.. tradition isn't a bad thing.

• 1 month later...

As a Cadet awaiting training, I found this thread quite interesting and will give careful consideration to my character's family history. I guess there is a tendancy to dramatise (sp?) your own characters background without consideration given to the fact that every other Cadet could be doing exactly the same thing.

I suppose the other side of teh coin is that the characters that are simmed are the 'interesting' ones - and that there are plenty of other boring (NPC) characters wandering around the ship undertaking menotinous (sp??) tasks.

PS - ok ... where's the spellchecker?

I have sent my bio yesterday. I didn't make any dramatic [...]ches. My parents are alive. My dad and sister are in Starfleet. I think my character might be interesting without any revolutionary additions like meeting Borg or something. Most of us do not have real traumatic experience in their past so who says our characters have to?

My character's parents are both in Starfleet but there is nothing cliche about it. I don't think it would be anything unusual for the time period. After all Starfleet is a huge organization so why would it be too far fetched for children to follow in their parents' footsteps?

Okay, rambling now, will go back to my corner.

<_< This is interesting... neither my characters parents were in Starfleet and I decided this years ago as a cadet. One was a Diplomat and one was a doctor (who's footsteps my character set out to follow...) oddly enough my character has now ended up a diplomat like his father (though I could never have predicted that all those years ago!)

:) of course... I still intend to end up retired on a Farm :P

Neither of my character's parents are Starfleet. Mother is a teacher and father was a farmer.

But in RL both my brother an I followed the family tradition of becoming police officers.

Okay.. I now have one character whose father was in Starfleet. I figure Starfleet is very much like today's military. It is a matter of pride and honour to follow your parental's footsteps. Such would be the same in SF.

Geez louise, this is beginning to sound like an AA meeting...oh well if you can't beat them...

my character's parents were both starfleet, simply because it ties in with character's plot and i'm also guilty of another cliche both parents are dead (I can just hear the collective groans from the readers :D)

but that's because i didn't want to have any sims involving them, i knew that if they were alive sooner or later they would pop up somewhere and blahdi blahdi blah...(for the record that is the response of the character not me :D).

Archived