• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

The Epic Moments of Star Trek: DS9 (10/20)

Idril Mar

13 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Most Epic Moment of DS9?

• "Duet" shows us all the many levels of genocide, collective guilt and imperialism.
    • "Little Green Men" throws a harsh light on modern capitalism.
    • Nog deals with the aftermath of a combat injury in "It's Only a Paper Moon"
    • The triumph of Kor in "Once more into the Breach" recalls the desire we all have for an honorable death
    • The bonds of father and son are tight in "The Visitor"
    • The Quickening knocks technological arrogance on its butt.
    • Something else? Explain!

This week, we continue our ongoing series of the most epic moments of Star Trek with the third series, Deep Space Nine.

Set for the first time on a stationary platform, the concept of life aboard a space station was a new idea for the franchise. Throw in the fac tthat the Federationwas coming in to a formerly Cardassian-occupied system and were quite a ways from direct Federation support, there was the potential for a big fat mess landing in Commander (later Captain) Sisko's lap. Despite a rocky start, which seems to be the pattern for Trek series, Deep Space Nine followed TNG's example with seven successful seasons and a thriumphant send-off.

Here are a few of my favorites, thought there are others too many to include here!

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of Deep Space 9. I had trouble following it and the local station couldn't make up their mind when to schedule it. Despite that, I found I really enjoyed family episodes. The station was the one place you could have a family.

Man...there are so many moments from DS9..Nog dealing with his wartime injury, Kor going out the way any warrior would want to go, the entire Dominion War arc...masterful television. I just wish they had gone on another couple of years to see how the Federation and Starfleet began to recover from the war.

DS9 was my favorite they explored so many different elements of life in the 24th century. The Dominion War arc was great at showing what war can do to a society. Wish they had been able to be as serialized as they wanted but at the time they could not funny how now we almost expect that from well written shows.

So many good moments. I think Garak would be in most of them. :)

• Like 1

There are so many great moments in DS9, but I still remember the two moments that had all the message boards buzzing after they aired:

(The largest number of Starfleet ships we had seen until that point in Trek history)

and of course...

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4

I would second the above scene from In the Pale Moonlight and add:

The part where Garak explains how his plan worked to Sisko is intensely bada--

This quote especially:

That's why you came to me, isn't it, Captain? Because you knew I could do those things that you weren't capable of doing? Well, it worked. And you'll get what you want: a war between the Romulans and the Dominion. And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha Quadrant. And all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...