• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

September & October Challenge

Tony, aka VAiru

As we leave summer and move towards the cool fall (for some, at least -- it was still over 100ºF for me today!), I ask you to throw your thoughts toward the future, and in the spirit of the maybe-not-so-distant-now Halloween, consider our newest Writing Challenge:

RUN SHIVERS DOWN MY SPINE

Writes Jess, the writer behind Jalana Laxyn and the winner of our previous Challenge, For the next challenge I would like to see something that would run shivers down our spines. Be it something unbelievable, something so touching one gets goosebumps, something so cruel you want to scream, or is it something spooky? What causes shivers for you?

Surely there are no shortage of things to trigger your fears from Trek, whether you tend toward the bombastic villains of TOS, the body horror and loss of freedom that the Borg bring, or the frightening clash of political ideology in DS9. But what else might you write? What other fears lurk in the shadows of Trek? As Jess asks, what makes you shiver? We look forward to finding out!

As of today, Wednesday, September 3rd, this Challenge is open! We'll ask that all of your submissions come in by Saturday, October 25th -- enough time for the judges to convene and to reveal our Master of Chills and Shivers on Halloween itself!

As always, please remember:
*Your work must be completely original.
*You must be the sole author of the work.
*Your story must take place in the Star Trek universe, but may not center upon canon characters.
*Sign your final draft as you would a post on your ship.
*Your story must be between 300 and 3000 words.
For any questions you might have, remember that you can always post questions to this thread or visit the Writing Challenge website. Please also take a look at our new wiki page! And don't forget to get your copy of our mobile compendium of the July & August Challenge!
Good luck!
  • Like 1

Ooooh, this one has my name all over it. I've always enjoyed the darker side of trek and just might have to write two entires here, one for Irina, my current character, and one for something or someone far darker.

• 4 weeks later...

Now...you know I can't just let you do this by yourself...dark is my middle name.....perhaps another early Hannibal exploit, or perhaps Kamela...maybe both.....

• Like 1

Totally does :)

• Like 1

Ooooh, this one has my name all over it. I've always enjoyed the darker side of trek and just might have to write two entires here, one for Irina, my current character, and one for something or someone far darker.

Now...you know I can't just let you do this by yourself...dark is my middle name.....perhaps another early Hannibal exploit, or perhaps Kamela...maybe both.....

I think I may have to do this one... saying it out loud in public kinda means I have to right?

I want to read them all!! :w00t:

I think I may have to do this one... saying it out loud in public kinda means I have to right?

I want to read them all!! :w00t:

Hey, not done yet. I still have my "darker" one to post as soon as someone else makes it so I don't automatically lose (if I post twice and nobody else does, at least one of mine would win, making the other a real loser. LAST PLACE. Back of the pack. Zero not hero.

Now there are no rules for entering two of them..hmmmmm.......

True! But there are no rules against entering multiple stories, either, and when the question was asked about a previous Challenge, I decided it'd be better to have more stories. If you want to enter multiple stories, go for it!

I may take a crack at this if I make it out of Acadamy unscathed tomorrow. A quick question? Just standard prose format is OK? Or did we nee to use SIM formatting?

I may take a crack at this if I make it out of Acadamy unscathed tomorrow. A quick question? Just standard prose format is OK? Or did we nee to use SIM formatting?

Standard prose is the norm for the Writing Challenges.

Standard prose is the norm for the Writing Challenges.

Most writers do choose to skip sim formatting, but others don't -- take a look at our archives (including this year's!) to see some examples. Oh, and if you're feeling adventurous, feel free to play with formatting and do something wholly unexpected! The only hard-and-fast rules are the ones you see above, so everything else is open and ready to be played with.

You might not know that my character shares consciousness with a warrior deprived of his body for decades that haunted a tribe as spirits and that followed a leader that was almost as evil as Argus, but without it's power? We'll see... but I see it lurking in the dark and feeling the power of the writting challenge subject... Beware, 'cause he's coming!!

Well, managing to surprise the heck out of myself, I have gotten an entry done and submitted. I leave the "dark" to the rest of you... I'm going for something a little different :P

• Like 1

Great! The Challenge will be open through tonight -- and through whenever I close it tomorrow morning -- so if anyone else has any last-day entries, make sure to get 'em in!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.