• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

Trek Reading Circle: Getting Started

Jordan aka FltAdmlWolf

Which of the following books would you like to read in the next few months? (No more than 1 book per month to be read.)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following books would you like to read in the next few months? (No more than 1 book per month to be read.)

• [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671774719/qid=1064214412]The Section 31 Series[/url] (4 Books)
    • [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/891]The Eugenics Wars Series[/url] (2 Books)
    • [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671014633/qid=1064214691]The Captains Table Series[/url] (6 Books)
    • [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/2PLVRY6PSSWDZ]Selected TOS Books[/url]
    • I don't like any of the choices.

I think the first order of business should be the to choose what we're going to read for the next two months (at least).

I posted a poll above with some popular series'.

What I assume we'll do is:

1. Decide on a schedule.

2. Give everyone some time to get and read the book.

3. Star discussing in about a month.

4. Give one month for each discussion, and then start at #2 again.

So, please vote for your choice of reading, and then respond with any comments or questions!

I thought that was a good selection as well, because it addresses TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY. I've read two of the four, and they are very well written IMO :)

No reason we can't do that in the future :)

This is just the choices to start with for the first month or so.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm interested... I read the Captain's Tables and Section 31 - both are pretty good. I haven't read a single TOS book (unless you count the Shatner ones), so I'd be pretty interested in that. Does Capt.'s Tables cover all series too?

Sadly I've only been able to find one of the Invasion books (VOY: The Final Fury). Another good series was the DS9 Rebels one.

I read three of the four of Deep Space Nine's Mission Gamma books (I can't find #2 anywhere!) as well as both Avatars and Rising Son. Can't wait to buy Unity though I can only find it in hardcover.

I would also recommend (for any VOY lovers) that you read the two-parter set after Endgame and the series finale. Homecoming and the Farther Shore are well written and I love them.

So are we still on for this... or did it die away?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I think I would certainly be interested in a reading circle. I've been able to find all but one of the Section 31 books, and I've read every TOS book the local library has.

So, someone hand out an assignment already! Let's get this show on the road! Yeah!

This can be made into a summer reading type thing. However there are SO MANY Trek books on the market, it is unbelievable. Also, for those interested, here is an updated list of upcoming books:

Pocket Books editor Marco Palmieri on March 30 announced the tentative Star Trek fiction schedule for June 2005 through January 2006.

The new schedule reflects Pocket Books' recent decision to only publish one mass-market Star Trek paperback per month, rather than the two that had been the norm over the past years (story). As trade paperbacks and hardcovers are counted separately, many months will still see the publication of two physical Trek books, as well as the monthly eBook-only release in the Star Trek: S.C.E. series. The full schedule, can be found below:

June

Articles of the Federation by Keith R.A. DeCandido

Tales from the Captain's Table" by various (Trade Paperback)

S.C.E. #52: Identity Crisis by John J. Ordover (eBook)

July

Voyager: String Theory, Book 1: Cohesion by Jeffrey Lang

Strange New Worlds 8 by various (Trade Paperback)

S.C.E. #53: Fables of the Prime Directive by Cory Rushton (eBook)

August

Vanguard: Harbinger by David Mack

S.C.E. #54: Security by Keith R.A. DeCandido (eBook)

September

Vulcan's Soul, Book I: Exodus by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz

TNG: Death In Winter by Michael Jan Friedman (Hardcover)

S.C.E. #55: Wounds, Book One by Ilsa J. Bick (eBook)

October

Titan: The Red King by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin

S.C.E. #56: Wounds, Book Two by Ilsa J. Bick (eBook)

November

Voyager: String Theory, Book 2: Fusion by Kirsten Beyer

Voyager: Distant Shores by various (Trade Paperback)

S.C.E. #57: Out of the Cocoon by William Leisner (eBook)

December

Enterprise: Rosetta by David Stern

S.C.E. #58: Honor by Kevin Killiany (eBook)

January 2006

Titan: Orion's Hounds by Christopher L. Bennett

S.C.E. #59: Blackout by Phaedra M. Weldon (eBook)

February 2006

New Frontier: After the Fall by Peter David (Mass Market Reprint)

New Frontier: Missing in Action by Peter David (Hardcover)

S.C.E. #60: The Cleanup by Robert T. Jeschonek (eBook)

In addition to the above books, Palmieri noted he is still hopeful the new hardcover Captain's Glory, written by William Shatner (James T. Kirk) with Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, will be published during the last quarter of 2005.

Meanwhile, Palmieri also reminded fans that as of March 30, Pocket Books' Starship Titan Design Contest is officially open. Through this contest, Pocket is asking fans to design the U.S.S. Titan, the new starship of Captain Riker, which was mentioned but never seen in Star Trek: Nemesis. As the adventures of the Titan will now be chronicled in a new novel-only series, Pocket is looking for a design it can feature on the cover of an upcoming book in the series. Information on the contest, as well as some background information on the Luna-class of Starfleet vessels that the U.S.S. Titan is part of, can be found on the official contest page.

• Renos unpinned this topic